Mason Greenwood seals future with Manchester United after signing long-term deal


Mason Greenwood seals future with Manchester United after signing long-term deal – originally posted on Sportslens.com
Not many positives can even be taken from Manchester United’s current predicament, but the emergence of Mason Greenwood since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer took over is definitely one bright sign in the disappointing last few months.
The 17-year-old’s goal-scoring skills has the Norwegian gushing about his skills and Greenwood’s also been rewarded with a brand new contract which will see him continue playing for his boyhood club till at least 2023.
United announced on Friday that they had come to an agreement with the England U-21 International, who just turned an adult very recently.
Greenwood has been part of United’s academy since the age of seven and broke through the youth scene last time after netting 26 goals in youth level competitions!
The 18-year-old was visibly delighted at having committed his future with the Red Devils and spoke to their official website and said.
“Having grown up as a Manchester United fan, playing for the first team is a real dream come true. I know that, when I play for this club, I represent the whole Academy and I want to repay the faith that my coaches have shown in me with my performances on the pitch.”
He further added, “I am learning all the time from the manager and his coaching staff and I know that this is the perfect club to help me reach my potential.”
Solskjaer also expressed his delight at having handed another youngster a new contract after Brandon Williams signed a long-term deal earlier this week as well.
He said, “Mason has progressed through our outstanding Academy and we are delighted with the progress he has made. At such a young age, he already has great pace and intelligence and he is such a natural finisher.”
Further hailing his character, Ole added, “Since he came into the first team, he has really impressed everyone with his drive and attitude. He has all the attributes to become a top player. Mason is learning every day in training and, with his work ethic, there is no doubt that he has an excellent future ahead of him.”
Greenwood has been tipped by many to be United’s undisputed centre-forward in the near future, as Solskjaer could be left needing his services against Liverpool as well.
With United struggling with injuries to their top stars, the 18-year-old could make a rare start to take the game to Jurgen Klopp’s side.
He’s scored in two of the three starts he’s made so far this season, as the teenager is bound to get even better if given ample opportunities going forward.
From Sportslens.com – Football News | Football Blog


Celtic fans will love Lennon's emphatic claim regarding key star's future


Celtic fans will love Lennon's emphatic claim regarding key star's future – originally posted on Sportslens.com
Odsonne Edouard has been linked with a move away from Celtic.
The young Frenchman has been very impressive for the Scottish giants and other European clubs are keeping tabs on him.
It will be interesting to see if they make a move for the striker in January.
However, the transfer won’t be easy to complete for his suitors. Celtic are not ready to lose him this season and Neil Lennon has made that abundantly clear.
Speaking to Daily Record, the Celtic boss confirmed that Edouard will not be sold this season.
He said: “There’s no chance of him leaving in January. Absolutely not. We’ve got too much to do here. He is a class player and is pivotal to us. We may or may not be in Europe after January, so that’s even more reason for him not to go.”
Celtic already sanctioned the sale of Kieran Tierney earlier this year and they cannot afford to lose any more key players now.
The Hoops will want to retain their domestic crown and challenge for the top honours. In order for that to happen, they will have to hold on to their best players.
Edouard has been one Lennon’s best players so far this season and his departure would be a massive blow.
With Rangers pushing hard for the title, Celtic are unlikely to take such a big risk.
Edouard’s suitors might have to wait until the summer to sign him.
From Sportslens.com – Football News | Football Blog


Opinion: Manuel Pellegrini doesn’t trust 22-year-old West Ham man


Opinion: Manuel Pellegrini doesn’t trust 22-year-old West Ham man – originally posted on Sportslens.com
Albian Ajeti has struggled for form and playing time since joining West Ham United from FC Basel over the summer, making only two appearances from a possible 10. More than two months into the season, the 22-year-old is yet to make his Premier League debut and is continually overlooked by Manuel Pellegrini.
Ajeti’s only appearances have come in the EFL Cup – 2-0 win over Newport County (August 27), 4-0 defeat to Oxford United (September 25) – but his performances have left a lot to be desired. Guiseppe Muro of the Evening Standard criticised his performance against Oxford, saying: ‘The Switzerland frontman showed none of that promise against Oxford… and does not look suited to playing as the lone striker.’
And while the Swiss international insists Pellegrini has faith in his ability, his lack of playing time belies the statement. Sebastien Haller has been first-choice in attack (seven appearances, four goals, one assist) and has yet to be substituted. It remains to be seen if Ajeti is his direct cover, or if Felipe Anderson/Andrii Yarmolenko would be preferred as makeshift strikers over the 22-year-old.
As per Transfermarkt, Ajeti scored & created 64 goals in 96 games for Basel and contributed 19 goals in 38 games for St Gallen too. Unfortunately, he’s been unable to impress in England.
Stats from Transfermarkt.
From Sportslens.com – Football News | Football Blog


Injuries hit Manchester United plans, Liverpool sweating on key duo


Injuries hit Manchester United plans, Liverpool sweating on key duo – originally posted on Sportslens.com
Manchester United host Liverpool on Sunday aiming to bounce back from a miserable start to their Premier League campaign.
United have won just two of their first eight matches and face a Liverpool side who boast a 100% record this term.
The Red Devils will be without David de Gea and Paul Pogba for the game, but Luke Shaw, Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Anthony Martial should all be available for selection.
Goalkeeper Alisson has returned to training for Liverpool, while Joel Matip and Mohamed Salah are expected to shrug off their respective injuries.
United are unbeaten in their last five home league meetings with Liverpool, with their last defeat coming back in 2014.
Liverpool are hoping to equal the all-time English top-flight record of 18 consecutive victories, set by Manchester City in 2017.
Predicted starting line-ups:
Man Utd: Romero, Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Young, McTominay, Matic, Rashford, Mata, James, Martial.
Liverpool: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Milner, Salah, Firmino, Mane.
From Sportslens.com – Football News | Football Blog


Huge boost for Manchester City ahead of tough trip to Crystal Palace


Huge boost for Manchester City ahead of tough trip to Crystal Palace – originally posted on Sportslens.com
Manchester City visit Crystal Palace on Saturday hoping to banish the memories of their most recent Premier League outing.
A surprise 2-0 defeat at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers left City eight points behind table-topping Liverpool after just eight games.
John Stones, Sergio Aguero and Kevin de Bruyne are all expected to start for City after recovering from their respective injuries.
Mamadou Sakho remains on the sidelines for Palace, but Luka Milivojevic will return to the starting XI after suspension.
City triumphed 3-1 on their last visit to Selhurst Park back in April, with Raheem Sterling (2) and Gabriel Jesus getting the goals.
However they were beaten 3-2 by Palace at the Etihad Stadium earlier in the season would be well advised not to underestimate Roy Hodgson’s side this weekend.
Predicted starting line-ups:
Crystal Palace: Guaita, Ward, Cahill, Kelly, Van Aanholt, Milivojevic, McArthur, Kouyate, Schlupp, Zaha, Ayew.
Man City: Ederson, Cancelo, Stones, Otamendi, Zinchenko, De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Silva, Mahrez, Aguero, Sterling.
From Sportslens.com – Football News | Football Blog


Big worry for Silva as key Everton player battles to be fit for West Ham United game


Big worry for Silva as key Everton player battles to be fit for West Ham United game – originally posted on Sportslens.com
Everton host West Ham United on Saturday aiming to end their miserable run of form in the Premier League.
Four successive defeats have sent the Toffees tumbling into the relegation zone and they will be eager to bounce back this weekend.
Defender Seamus Coleman will miss the game through suspension, while Jean-Philippe Gbamin is a long-term absentee.
Fabian Delph is struggling to be fit for selection as the battles to shake off a hamstring injury, but Cenk Tosun is definitely out with groin injury.
West Ham’s Declan Rice is available after recovering from the illness that ruled him out of England’s win in Bulgaria.
Aaron Cresswell and Robert Snodgrass also return, but Lukasz Fabianski, Michail Antonio and Winston Reid remain on the sidelines.
Everton were defeated 3-1 in the corresponding fixture last term, but haven’t lost consecutive home games against the Hammers in the top-flight since 1930.
Predicted starting line-ups:
Everton: Pickford, Sidibe, Keane, Mina, Digne, Gomes, Schneiderlin, Bernard, Sigurdsson, Richarlison, Kean.
West Ham: Roberto, Fredericks, Diop, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Rice, Noble, Yarmolenko, Lanzini, Anderson, Haller.
From Sportslens.com – Football News | Football Blog


Former World Cup winner claims Spurs ace is not good enough for European giants


Former World Cup winner claims Spurs ace is not good enough for European giants – originally posted on Sportslens.com
Tottenham midfielder Christian Eriksen has been linked with a move away from the club in January.
The Danish playmaker is out of contract at the end of this season and there is a feeling that Spurs could cash in on him during the upcoming transfer window.
Losing a player of his calibre on a free transfer would be a blow for any side and therefore agreeing to sell him would be the right decision.
Former Bayern Munich star and World Cup winner Lothar Matthaus has however questioned the quality of the midfielder. He believes that Eriksen is not good enough to join Bayern Munich.
According to the Bayern Munich legend, Eriksen is too slow for Kovac’s style of play and the German giants should move for Kai Havertz instead.
Matthaus has stated that Bayern already have Muller and Coutinho at their disposal and they should avoid making a move for him.
He said: “I’ve been following the player for a long time and so far in 2019 he has disappointed me. A transfer to Bayern wouldn’t make sense in my view, and would be very surprising. If he’s not enough for Tottenham, he’s not good enough for Bayern. [Club president] Uli Hoeness has also said before that Bayern doesn’t need any substitutes. Eriksen is a fine technician, a typical No.10, but he’s too slow, and Niko Kovac likes fast players. For me, Eriksen is not the kind of player who makes the difference at the highest level, so concentrate on the transfer of Kai Havertz next summer, and you still have Philippe Coutinho, who plays well as a ten. Do not forget [Thomas] Muller, who can play any position offensively and should not give up. I repeat: Eriksen makes no sense to me.”
It will be interesting to see where Eriksen ends up in January or at the end of the season.
He might be out of form right now but there is no doubt that he is a top-class player.
From Sportslens.com – Football News | Football Blog


Report confirms Wolves' offer for 22-year-old powerhouse


Report confirms Wolves' offer for 22-year-old powerhouse – originally posted on Sportslens.com
Wolves are looking to improve their squad in January and they have made a move for Franck Kessie.
The AC Milan midfielder has been linked with a Premier League move for a while now.
According to la Gazzetta dello Sport (translated by Calciomercato), the Premier League side have now made an offer for Kessie.
Wolves wanted to sign the player in the summer but the move never materialised. Milan have made a poor start to their season and Nuno is looking to take advantage of that and secure his target now.
It will be interesting to see if they can secure an agreement with the Italian giants now.
Kessie would add presence and drive to Wolves’ midfield. He would be a solid partner for Neves and Moutinho.
The 22-year-old has done well for Milan this season but the Serie A side are thought to be considering Wolves’ offer for him.
Wolves want to do well in the Europa League as well and they need more depth for that. Bringing in players like Kessie will be ideal for them.
It would certainly improve their overall quality and add depth to the side.
Kessie might be tempted to make the step up to the Premier League as well.
From Sportslens.com – Football News | Football Blog


Gerrard explains why Rangers ace hasn't been playing regularly for him


Gerrard explains why Rangers ace hasn't been playing regularly for him – originally posted on Sportslens.com
Nikola Katic has signed a new deal with Rangers.
The talented young defender will be delighted to see that his manager and the club are looking to trust him for the long haul.
Katic needs to work on his development now and earn a regular starting berth.
Despite his outstanding talent, the defender hasn’t been a regular for Gerrard. The Rangers manager has now explained why.
According to Gerrard, Katic has been benched in some games because he needs protection. The centre back is still quite young and he needs to be managed carefully.
The Rangers boss revealed that Katic has all the tools to succeed in the Scottish League but his game needs polishing. He will also need to be more dominant in both boxes and add consistency to his game.
Katic has already impressed the manager and the fans and once he adds consistency to his game, he should be able to hold down a regular starting berth.
Gerrard believes that Katic is a major asset for Rangers and he will be a key part of what the club is trying to achieve right now.
The player will be delighted to hear these comments from his manager and he will be determined to work hard and win his place in the side going forward.
From Sportslens.com – Football News | Football Blog


Everton midfielder opens up about his future, ready to consider a move away


Everton midfielder opens up about his future, ready to consider a move away – originally posted on Sportslens.com
Everton midfielder Nathangelo Markelo could leave the club in search of regular football.
According to a report, the defensive midfielder wants first team football and if he cannot get it at Goodison Park, he will consider an exit.
Markelo’s current contract expires at the end of this season but there is an option to extend it.
The player has revealed that he would consider moving to the Eredivisie if needed.
He said to Voetbal International (translated by SportWitness): “Of course I hope I can make minutes at Everton 1 (the first-team). If not, I will look further into the Netherlands or another country. I’m ready for men’s football. Is the Eredivisie is an option? Yes, certainly.”
Markelo is highly rated at the club and his departure will be a blow for the Toffees. They are looking to build for the future with talented young players and Markelo fits the mould.
It will be interesting to see if he gets his chance in the coming weeks.
Marco Silva should look to use the youngster in the cup games. With the likes of Gbamin injured, it shouldn’t be too difficult.
Everton have trusted in youth in the past and Markelo will be hoping for an opportunity soon.
From Sportslens.com – Football News | Football Blog