Report: PL rival set sight on 25-year-old Spurs target in January

Report: PL rival set sight on 25-year-old Spurs target in January – originally posted on Sportslens.com

Tottenham Hotspur have been reportedly linked with a move for Vedat Muriqi, but the north Londoners could face strong competition from Manchester United.
According to reports from the Express, the Red Devils are likely to challenge Spurs for the signature of Muriqi during the January transfer window.
The 25-year-old striker joined this summer from Caykur Rizespor for a reported fee of just £3.1million. He enjoyed a great 2018-19 campaign where he scored 17 goals and provided eight assists for the Turkish outfit.
Spurs scouts watched him in action during Kosovo’s 2-1 win over the Czech Republic last weekend. He also impressed against England where he scored a goal and provided two assists.
Mauricio Pochettino will be looking to sign another striker in January and probably feels Muriqi is the ideal player to take some pressure off Harry Kane.
After Romelu Lukaku’s departure, Manchester United are also in the hunt to sign a striker to support Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford.
While Spurs may have been plotting a move for Muriqi’s signature, it seems Manchester United have joined the race as well.
Fenerbahce will no doubt want to keep Muriqi, but they could be tempted to cash in on him should either of Spurs or United come up with a big-money offer.
From Sportslens.com – Football News | Football Blog

'I would stay without a problem': Bielsa signing comments on his Leeds future

'I would stay without a problem': Bielsa signing comments on his Leeds future – originally posted on Sportslens.com

Leeds United signed Illan Meslier on loan from Lorient during the summer transfer window.
The Whites lost goalkeeper Bailey Peacock-Farrell in the summer transfer window as he joined Burnley. The Yorkshire club then moved in quickly to sign the exciting 19-year-old goalkeeper on a season-long loan.
The youngster has said to Quest-France that he is open to staying at Leeds United beyond next summer.
Kiko Casilla is the first-choice keeper at Leeds under Marcelo Bielsa at the moment. The youngster, however, has admitted that he is open to staying at Elland Road permanently provided he gets regular opportunities.
Meslier told Quest-France, (h/t Get French Football News), when asked to comment on his future at Leeds: “I would like to, but it depends on the season.
“If I play in the Championship, and the club activates the option to buy, I would stay without a problem. If I play less, we will think about it. But the best thing would be to continue at Leeds.”
Leeds have started the season strongly and are one of the favourite to secure promotion to the Premier League this season.
Casilla has been very impressive for the Whites so far, and his position as the club’s first-choice keeper is under no threat whatsoever.
Therefore, Meslier will have to wait for his turn to impress the Argentine. He is a fine keeper with bags of potential, and can be a star for the future.
It is highly unlikely that Bielsa will hand him regular games unless Casilla gets injured. He is still very young and should focus on doing well in training and keep learning from experienced players in the side.
Leeds United moved to the top of the Championship table after they won 2-0 against Barnsley on Sunday.
From Sportslens.com – Football News | Football Blog

Report: 24-year-old whom Rodgers said could become 'top-class' set for Celtic exit

Report: 24-year-old whom Rodgers said could become 'top-class' set for Celtic exit – originally posted on Sportslens.com

According to reports from the Daily Record, Jack Hendry could still leave Celtic before next week.
Clubs in Portugual are keen to secure the services of the 24-year-old who has dropped down the pecking order at the club under Neil Lennon.
Hendry joined the Hoops during the January transfer window of 2018. Brendan Rodgers, then Celtic manager, praised Hendry at the time of signing, saying the centre-back has all the potential to be a top-class defender.
Rodgers said to BBC Sport: “When you come to Celtic you have to deal with expectation and pressure. If he can deal with all those things then you’ve got a Scottish centre-half who has all the attributes of a top-class footballer.”
He has made just 26 appearances in all competitions for the Bhoys. Last season, he made just four league appearances, and he is yet to feature at all this season under Lennon.
The defender, who turned down a loan move to Kilmarnock on deadline day as part of Celtic’s move to sign Greg Taylor, could now to be heading to Portugal, with the Portuguese window remaining open until September 22.
The report claims he could join either of Santa Clara, Tondela or Vitoria Guimaraes in the Portuguese top-flight or Farense in the second tier in a season-long loan deal.
From Sportslens.com – Football News | Football Blog

Pellegrini confirms that player is an undisputed starter, names his backup

Pellegrini confirms that player is an undisputed starter, names his backup – originally posted on Sportslens.com

West Ham United manager Manuel Pellegrini has confirmed that England international midfielder Declan Rice remains one of the first names on his team sheet.
The 20-year-old has established himself as a starter for the Hammers since becoming a first-team player two seasons ago, and appears to have also secured a spot for himself in the Three Lions’ XI under boss Gareth Southgate.
Rice came under criticism for an error that led to a goal during England’s 5-3 win over Kosovo in the Euros 2020 qualifiers during the international break, but a key interception from him helped his side score at the other end later on.
Despite the quality and experience available within the West Ham ranks, the youngster continues to stand out, and Pellegrini says he will always play except when injured, with Carlos Sanchez named as his cover.
“At 20 you don’t know if you are tired or not. You always want to play,” the Chilean told The Sun.
“If he has any muscle problem then of course we will rest him – we have Carlos Sanchez in that position.
“But for the moment, Declan must continue playing games.”
With 65 top-flight appearances under his belt, Rice is slowly garnering needed experience and getting better, and he is expected to feature at the top for so long for both club and country.
Given his huge potential and enormous talents, it doesn’t come as a surprise that the bigwigs are keen on his services, and it will be interesting to see if West Ham can hold on to him beyond this season after he recently claimed the summer wasn’t the right time to leave the London Stadium.
From Sportslens.com – Football News | Football Blog

Phil Hay names the two players next in line for new Leeds deals

Phil Hay names the two players next in line for new Leeds deals – originally posted on Sportslens.com

According to The Athletic’s Leeds United reporter Phil Hay, midfield duo Mateusz Klich and Pablo Hernandez are next in line for new deals at Elland Road after the trio of Liam Cooper, Stuart Dallas and Kalvin Phillips penned new deals last week.
A new contract should be agreed with the Pole in the next few weeks, but one for the Spaniard could take a little bit longer with the club not in a rush.
Manager Marcelo Bielsa wants to keep his core players with him as Leeds look to finally secure Premier League promotion at the second time of asking under the Argentine, and they are ready to do all it takes to keep him happy after he almost left at the end of last season.
Klich, 29, featured in all 46 Championship games last season, scoring 10 goals and has already featured in all seven league games thus far, scoring once and assisting once.
He scored his first goal of the new season in the EFL Cup against Salford City to help them earn a 3-0 victory, and is expected to play a huge role in Leeds’ Premier League promotion attempt.
Hernández, 34, has also hit the ground running this term, scoring two goals and assisting two others in seven league appearances, and is also a key player for Bielsa.
Both are without a doubt important and quality players within the Leeds ranks, and the Yorkshire club reckon they have what it takes to play Premier League football, hence the plan to hand them new deals.
From Sportslens.com – Football News | Football Blog

'Outstanding': Klopp names the Liverpool player who has been a 'pleasure to work with' from day one

'Outstanding': Klopp names the Liverpool player who has been a 'pleasure to work with' from day one – originally posted on Sportslens.com

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has showered heaps of praise on left-back Andy Robertson, claiming him as the best left-back in the world last year.
Robertson, who joined Liverpool from Hull City for just £8m, has developed into a top-class player under Klopp within a space of two years.
Given his importance to the side, and the quality he brings to the table, surely his signing has been one of the bargains of all time in Liverpool’s illustrious history.
The 25-year-old became the first Scot to win a Champions League medal in 22 years, and Klopp says that he is probably the best Scottish player ever to have played for Liverpool after Sir Kenny Dalglish.
Klopp suggested that initially Robertson took time to settle in, but that he was always confident about his potential.
The charismatic German boss has given the ultimate compliment by saying it is not only Liverpool who has improved Robertson, the player he is today, but the defender has improved Liverpool as well.
“He’s maybe the best Scot here since Kenny Dalglish, although Gary McAllister was a wonderful ambassador and player too,” said Klopp to the Daily Record (read the full interview here).
The left-back produced another fantastic performance against Newcastle United on Saturday, where he set up a goal for Sadio Mane in Liverpool’s 3-1 win.
“Football is a failure-dominated game, it’s not easy when the ball is rolling, the pitch is wet, the wind is blowing, whatever, you cannot be perfect. But I honestly can’t think of a proper mistake he has made,” he added.
“Robbo’s an
 outstanding boy and I like the fact he has done it the hard way.
“Did he become better because of us? Yes. But did we become
better because of him? Yes. It’s a proper win/win situation. And it’s been a pleasure to work with him from day one. He had some difficulties in the first three or four months to get in the team and settle but the potential was clear from the start, that’s why we signed him.
“With his 
natural strength on top, I 
honestly don’t know if there was a better left-back in Europe last year. And he has started this
 season exactly the same way.”
From Sportslens.com – Football News | Football Blog

'Buzzing for EDDIE EDDIE EDDIE!': Leeds star posts message on Twitter after win vs Barnsley

'Buzzing for EDDIE EDDIE EDDIE!': Leeds star posts message on Twitter after win vs Barnsley – originally posted on Sportslens.com

Leeds United returned to winning ways after the Whites won 2-0 against Barnsley in the Championship clash on Sunday at Oakwell.
After the match, Leeds United midfielder Kalvin Phillips took to social networking site Twitter to shower praise on Eddie Nketiah and Mateusz Klich.

Good win against a tough Barnsley side! Good to see some old faces! 👨🏻 buzzing for EDDIE EDDIE EDDIE! @cli5hy never in doubt! 👀 @ Barnsley Football Club https://t.co/VixGsAAIn3
— Kalvin Phillips (@Kalvinphillips) September 15, 2019

Eddie Nketiah, who joined on loan from Arsenal during the summer transfer window, made a huge difference to the side after he came on as a substitute in the second half.
The 20-year-old scored the opening goal in the 84th minute, and a few minutes later, he earned a penalty which was converted by Mateusz Klich.
Leeds enjoyed 67% of possession and attempted 21 shots during the game. As a result of this win, Leeds have moved to the top of the Championship table once again. The Whites have now won their past six away games and are top above Swansea on goal difference.
Nketiah has been progressing well under Marcelo Bielsa and has scored four goals in all competitions already.
From Sportslens.com – Football News | Football Blog

"Didn't look great" – Shearer shares one thing Liverpool should be really worried about

"Didn't look great" – Shearer shares one thing Liverpool should be really worried about – originally posted on Sportslens.com

Liverpool made it five Premier League victories in as many games with a 3-1 win against Newcastle United at Anfield on Saturday, going five points clear at the top of the table as a result.
The Reds’ 100% winning start to the new campaign is impressive as they come, but their defensive fragilities will surely leave manager Jurgen Klopp worried.
Liverpool lost Brazilian goalkeeper Alisson to a calf injury against Norwich City on the opening weekend of the season, and his absence has surely dealt a huge blow on their defensive strength.
As a result, the Anfield outfit haven’t looked impressive at the back so far this term, and Premier League legend Alan Shearer is concerned.
“As for Liverpool, they didn’t look great defensively either against Newcastle, as they haven’t for most of their first five games,” Shearer wrote in The Sun.
“After five games last season they had three clean sheets, compared to just one this time around.
“But while they haven’t looked as solid they are getting the job done – and going forward they have been red hot. They’ve won their first five games and sit pretty at the top with a five point lead, so you can’t really grumble.”
While Alisson’s cover Adrian has often looked shaky, he isn’t solely to be blamed for Liverpool’s recent defensive shortcomings.
Keeping things very tight at the back made all the difference for the Merseysiders last season, and failure to repeat those defensive heroics this term could have catastrophic effects on their campaign domestically and on the continent.
It will be interesting to see how Liverpool fare defensively going forward this term, but Klopp will surely hope things can get better.
From Sportslens.com – Football News | Football Blog

'Take a bow, world class': Some Spurs fans drool over one player after latest display

'Take a bow, world class': Some Spurs fans drool over one player after latest display – originally posted on Sportslens.com

Tottenham Hotspur defender Serge Aurier made his first start for the north London club over the weekend against Crystal Palace and he produced a fantastic performance.
Many Spurs fans have taken to Twitter to express their reaction to the performance of Aurier after Spurs won 4-0 against their London rivals on Saturday.
The Ivory Coast international faced an uncertain future during the summer and he was constantly linked with a move away from the club.
Recently, he said that there is no competition for him in the side which has angered many Spurs fans.
Kyle Walker-Peters has seemingly established himself as the first-choice right-back this season, and Aurier struggled to get into the side.
However, against Palace, the 26-year-old right-back was a constant threat down the right flank, and he proved his class with a fantastic performance.
Aurier made two key passes and provided an assist as well. The former Paris Saint-Germain defender was equally good defensively, making two tackles and five interceptions during the game.
Mauricio Pochettino has praised him heavily after the game and has urged him to maintain the consistency throughout the campaign.
Here are some of the selected tweets from the Spurs fans on Aurier:

And I’ve been so looking forward to having him back in the team. Take a bow Mr Aurier!!
— Sanjay Gohil (@SanjayGohil1) September 14, 2019

Aurier is a world class deliver of a ball! @MOTDmag @MOTD!
— Adam (@Durm_16) September 15, 2019

Just watched Spurs demolish Palace. Son and Aurier were outstanding. Aurier – how much did he cost? I think he was linked to UTD?
— James Ryddel (@kick_in_grass) September 15, 2019

Best football I’ve seen us play in months. Aurier has been fantastic as well #THFC
— EverythingSpursN17 (@EverythingN17) September 14, 2019

Serge Aurier was spot on when he said there’s no competition at Spurs at RB. He’s our best RB and yet Poch still tends to opt to play KWP or Sanchez and even Sissoko there, smh.
— LP ☬🛫 (@thfclp__) September 14, 2019

From Sportslens.com – Football News | Football Blog

The x-rated six words Delph shouted at Everton teammates against Bournemouth

The x-rated six words Delph shouted at Everton teammates against Bournemouth – originally posted on Sportslens.com

Everton’s away-day blues on the South Coast continued on Sunday as they suffered a 3-1 loss at the hands of Bournemouth.
The visitors found themselves behind 23 minutes into the game after Callum Wilson scored from a corner as they were caught napping.
Everton equalized via Dominic Calvert-Lewin right just before half-time, but they were largely poor when play resumed.
Marco Silva’s men found themselves a goal down again after Fabian Delph slightly deflected Ryan Fraser’s free-kick into his net.
Wilson made things worse for the Toffees five minutes later, grabbing his second of the day and putting the game to bed.
Silva would surely have been left disappointed with Everton’s performance, and their dismal shift was summed up by Delph’s x-rated six-word roar at his teammates just moments before Bournemouth’s second.
As reported by The Sun, the former Manchester City star shouted: “everyone is f***ing s*** right now”.
Without a doubt, Everton players didn’t step up to the plate and will have to start performing better on the road if they are to have a chance of breaking into the top-six this term.
From Sportslens.com – Football News | Football Blog